Thursday, October 14, 2010

"The Mean Girls of Morehouse": Gender at Same-sex Colleges


A recent vibe article entitled "The Mean Girls of Morehouse" focuses on a group (self-named "Plastics") who are current and former students at Morehouse - an all male historically black college in Atlanta, but whom have felt stifled at the overt criticism of their lifestyle. The group often cross-dresses, wears makeup and takes female hormones. And, while I don't agree with Morehouse defining what a man is and what a man is not, I am hesitant to say that these students belong there.

Simply put, women do not belong at Morehouse.

In the same vein, I don't believe men belong at all-women's colleges like Spelman or Barnard, for example. But, let me be a little more specific: I recognize the difference between gender and sex. Gender is self-identification -- do you identify as a man or a woman? Sex is physically identified. So, the Morehouse Plastics are male in terms of sex and what in terms of gender?
“I’ve always been into clothes, shoes, hair and everything,” says Diamond, who was born and raised in Providence, R.I. He says there’s a good chance he’ll transition into a woman at some point. “My mother says I always played dress-up in her clothes, my grandmother’s clothes. I’d even get my brother to do it sometimes. That’s just always been me—pushing the envelope of what I’m supposed to be as a man.”

So does Diamond really consider herself a man? At the question, he groans. “Yes, I refer to myself as a man, you know, to relieve any confusion. Sometimes people don’t understand the whole androgyny thing. There’s always the question: Well, what are you? Yes, I’m a man. I like women’s clothes. And yeah, I’m gay. But I don’t want that to define me. How come people can’t just see me as a person?”
What's problematic is both Diamond and the author can't seem to make up their mind as to Diamond's gender. The author uses both female and male pronouns to describe Diamond; and, Diamond declares himself a man, but add the qualifier ("to relieve any confusion") and talks about eventually transitioning to a woman. 

And, Diamond really doesn't have to choose which gender he/she is... unless he/she has expressly placed himself in an environment in which is predicated upon him being gendered as a man. 
Same-sex colleges are special places designed to help men and women achieve in environments designed to help them thrive. Morehouse is an all-male college. So, unless Diamond truly sees himself as a man, he shouldn't be there. There are plenty of colleges where the questioning of his gendered identity would be more acceptable, but at a same-sex college it becomes contentious. Diamond, if she identifies as a woman, misidentified herself and lied in order to insert herself into the college. If, she entered as a man, then when she decided not to be a man anymore she should have withdrawn or at least consulted with someone at the college. However, if Diamond is resolute in his identity as a male, then he belongs there as much as anyone does.

One last thing, this is not a gay/straight issue. This has nothing to do with sexuality. It has to do with gender.

2 comments:

  1. so i'm gonna be ignit about this.
    This whole "issue" is ridiculous. Anyone who knows anything about Morehouse knows that it exists to build a very specific black man which they call a "Morehouse Man". In fact, you are not allowed to even call yourself a "Morehouse Man" until you have graduated from the institution. The college has its own definition of a man and i'm more than sure that it's detailed in all of their brochures and guides. If you don't wanna be a Morehouse Man, then don't take your ass to Morehouse. I'm all for intellectual discussions where I get to use words like "heteronormative", but sometimes my southern self has to remind me that those liberals have a tendency to go too far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. word i agree. you can't go to a college like morehouse or spelman or barnard and then be surprised that it's exactly how it's advertised.

    ReplyDelete