Sunday, October 24, 2010

oh, i thought you were dead


I was exhausted tonight going home. I had spent the day volunteering and, as usual, the trains were barely running. My normally 20 minute express train had turned into a 40 minute local monster. So, I took a nap...

... only to be awaken by the mta police. I actually wasn't dead asleep; I was semi-cognizant that the next stop was mine, but still sleepy enough that when I woke up I had to wipe away a little drool. (hehe) Anyways, our conversation is roughly as follows:
MTA Police: Oh, you're alive.
Me: Uh, yes, I was napping.
MTA Police: I wasn't sure, I thought you might be dead.
Me: WHAAA?! No! Do you find many dead people?
MTA Police: Oh, yes, all the time. I already found four dead people this week. They just don't talk about it.
Me: Yo, that's mad crazy. Seriously?!
MTA Police: Yeah, we find dead people all the time. I mean, you could have had a heart attack.
Me: ::confused::
MTA Police: I'm not saying you're going to have a heart attack, don't worry. But, people have heart attacks and die.
Me: Hmm. Okay. Well, thank you.

Wait, what? Did the MTA Police really think my hunched over self was dead? Apparently, yes. It's definately an odd feeling to have been thought of as dead. Disconcerting, uncomfortable and weird.

It makes me wonder just how many people are found dead in subway cars and if I've ever been in a car with a dead person and not have realized it. It's eery. Especially since it's a very real possibility. And, I wonder if it's something that I should be more aware of - not necessarily "are there dead people around me?" but just generally being more conscious and aware of people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment