Wednesday, September 15, 2010

feeding illusions of grandeur

so this man-boy proclaims himself to be the "best unsigned rapper alive" and blames others for not recognizing his talent...

yeah, yeah, we all know people like this.

blaming others, when they should simply be blaming themselves. even with more specificity, we all know some boy who is really trying to pursue a music career without talent.

but, after he ranted on his facebook wall about giving up and how he knows he is the best, a number of women responded to him. I said some typical semi-condescending remark typical of our relationship. but, the other women continued to feed his illusions and allowing him to continue with his self-centered bullshit about no one getting it except for him when really everyone got it except for him. why do women do this? why do we build each other up and feed our disillusions when we know damn well that the person is really fat, untalented, mean or not that smart? why can't we just shut up?

and, really, it's not just women. because, thinking back to the first time I heard this man's raps back in 2006, I remember thinking "wow this dude is wack" and asking my boyfriend at the time why he told the "greatest unsigned rapper alive" that he was good. why insist on the myth?

(I considered mention the above little vignette in a facebook comment back to him to prove that no, everyone who heard him couldn't deny his greatness or whatever he said. But, I felt a little bad...)

the point of the story is, i would rather my friends either shut up or just tell me that I'm not as great as I think I am at something. all the time I would've spent pursuing something that was just never gonna happen could be spent pursuing something that will or even just leisure time.

so, let's pretty please stop being polite, and start being real. (thank you mtv.)

No comments:

Post a Comment