Friday, September 17, 2010

white face


So, about a month or so ago I bought "skin lightening creme" ... Yeah not cool. But neither are my acne scars that take forever to fade. My dermatologist told me non-white people get this problem a lot - the pimple is gone but the scar is left behind. It wasn't my proudest purchase but shit it said its for fading acne scars.

Does it work? I don't know. I don't really use it. Maybe I would use it more if it wasn't called "skin lightening," like if it was called "blemish fader" or "acne scar away."

Anyways this is a segway into white face or the crazy ass korean girl I seen the other day while walking through my alma mater. Now, her makeup was for a very pale fair skinned girl, not her. And it was white to the point where I thought to myself well maybe she was in some theatre class??! But, oh, yeah there's no mime-ing classes at barnard.

So I then had to acknowledge that this girl deluded herself into thinking her skin was whiter than it is and none of her fool ass friends spoke up about how crazy she looked.

Self-hate is never attractive.

The oft-acknowledged irony is white girls are off giving themselves melanoma for a little color in the tanning bed. They wish they had some melanin in their skin.

Asian culture constantly befuddles me. I think asian women are beautiful but to not be cool with your color and make obvious attempts to look lighter? That's so crazy to me. When are we going to move past a european style of beauty? From skin whitening treatments to eyelid construction surgery, the entire nation needs a wake up call.

I'm wary of using my scar fading creme because it somehow feels wrong. And it just makes me sad that a beautiful intelligent young women isn't feeling that as well. What is wrong with our girls?

I feel like a lot of asian american girls try to take on a physical identity unlike their own because the lack of asians in the media or fucked up stereotypes.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment